Monday, October 30, 2017

Why don’t more Texas State students study abroad?

By Ruben Garza
r_g413@txstate.edu

SAN MARCOS, Texas – Most students at Texas State are interested in Study Abroad programs, but many do not participate for a variety of reasons. Some have a hard time justifying the cost, while others experience other barriers.

Most student’s problem with study abroad programs is the cost. Many students at TXST believe that study abroad programs are just too expensive. Many programs cost several thousand dollars and that does not cover all your cost.

Ollen Howard, an exercise, and sports science junior, expressed his complaint with the amount study aboard programs cost.
Ollen Howard, 20
Photo by Darreane Valles


"As far as a study abroad program, I know that they try to make it seem like its affordable and just this easy process, but it’s not,” said Howard. “Especially just general cost to go there, pay to eat, get my stuff there, etcetera, etcetera.”

Another student, 21-year-old junior Tony Place, talked about how he would not participate because of the prices too.

“I might if I looked but one class is like $4,500 and I'm not sure if that even covers everything. It's definitely money for me” said Place. “I understand that it's going to be expensive if you're going across seas for a bit so $4,500 for everything is probably doable. At the same time, though, if you have tuition, bills, and rent, it becomes really hard.”
Tony Place, 21
Photo by  Sawyer Click    
Besides cost, students have other barriers that prevent them from going into study abroad programs. Some have other commitments they have to fulfill, like biology freshmen Alexis Contreres.
Alexis Contreres, 18
Photo by Matthew Masepohl


“I’m actually not able to because I’m in ROTC so we kind of do stuff over the summer,” said Contreres. She, like many others, are in programs that really don’t allow for too much travel, especially in the summer.

Other students, like Garfield Harrison, feel they just don’t have time for study abroad programs in their plan to graduation.
Garfield Harrison
Photo by  Anahi Hernandez-Rico    

"Time. I don't have the time" said Harrison. "I wish I had the time to do it because it sounds really cool, but I have like planned like literally up to graduation."A large group of students are just not aware of the programs or how to be a part of them. Student Henry Allen III, 20-year-old sophomore, talked about not know too much about the programs available to him

"This is my sophomore year so I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't think there are many study abroad programs for finance students" said Allen. "When you talk about Study abroad they should also talk about Study Abroad in America."
Henry Allen III, 20
Photo by  Justus Stafford    
Another student, 21-year-old Geronimo Perez, talked about not knowing where to start.

"No one knows where to start,” said Perez.
Geronimo Perez, 21
Photo by 
Stephen Spencer
There are many programs out there for students in many majors. If anyone would like to find out more info about the study abroad programs they should check the Texas State Study Abroad website.

No comments:

Post a Comment