Monday, October 30, 2017

Students interested in study abroad can’t afford it, don’t have the time

By Tyler Hernandez
tyrayhern@gmail.com
@tyrayhern

SAN MARCOS, Texas - A recent survey conducted by Texas State Universty students showed that students, while often interested, frequently can’t afford to participate in study abroad.


The opportunity to travel to different countries grants students the ability to experience foreign cultures and histories. Kendra Long, a junior, said that those experiences can be very helpful.

Kendra Long, Photo by: Tyler Hernandez


“I think being there and actually experiencing a place and seeing the history of it and their culture, I think experience helps a lot,” said Long.


Unfortunately, the expenses involved in taking a semester to study abroad are frequently too cumbersome for students to handle. Biology freshman Ramiro De La Cruz said there should be more financial support for students seeking study abroad.






Photo by: Collin Jones


"It would be better if they could include financial aid for students, such as myself, who do not have the resources available to attend and expansive trip," said De La Cruz.


Psychology freshman Ceven Johnson echoed these troubles.


Ceven Johnson (Photo by: Luis Seijo)

Even more common was the sentiment that students didn’t have enough time to participate in study abroad programs. Junior student Kevin Price said that between work and school, the time simply wasn’t there.

Kevin Price, Photo by Tyler Hernandez

“I do not have time for any of that. I have a full time job and I take fifteen credits,” said Price.


Radiation therapy Freshman Matthew Christnacht said that even looking into the programs available would be too time consuming.


Matthew Christnacht, Photo By: Cruz Rojas

"I haven’t had time and don’t know about any opportunities. I feel like it would take a big time commitment to learn about them," said Christnacht.


Other students simply wish to spend their time in other way. Finance junior Giulia Gasponi said that fear of missing out, or FOMO, of time with her friends deters her from study abroad.
Giulia Gasponi by Justus Stafford


"I feel like I want to use that time during the breaks to spend with my friends. I would get severe FOMO, if i see my friends hanging out while I'm somewhere else for the summer," said
Gasponi.

While the impetus to participate in study abroad may vary from student to student, the benefits of the program are plentiful. Statistics from the University of California found that students who studied abroad were twice as likely to find work within 12 months of graduating, made 25 percent higher starting salaries and 19 percent lower unemployment rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment