Monday, October 30, 2017

Texas State Students Discuss Study Abroad Programs

By Justus Stafford
jas438@txstate.edu

SAN MARCOS, Texas -- A recent survey conducted by Texas State University Students proved that many students are interested in study abroad programs, but just can’t seem to afford them in more ways than one.

Kevin Price
 (photo by Tyler Hernandez)
Study abroad programs offer students the opportunity to experience rich foreign cultures and histories that can be very influential and eye-opening, and even though many students are interested in these programs, it’s not always as simple as just signing up. For students such as Kevin Price, a junior, time is a huge factor.

"I do not have time for any of that,” Price said. “I have a full-time job and take fifteen credits.”
Matthew Christnacht
(photo by Cruz Rojas) 

For students with a busy schedule, such as Matthew Christnacht, a freshman, just learning about study abroad programs is too time consuming.  

"I haven’t had time and don’t know about any opportunities,” Christnacht said. “I feel like it would take a big time commitment to learn about them.”


Ollen Howard
(photo by Darreane Valles)
While the idea of study abroad programs is quite tempting, students such as Ollen Howard, a junior, doesn’t see it as a simple process.

“I know they try to make it seem like its affordable and just this easy process, but it’s not,” Howard said. “I feel like it’s something [they have] to look more into.” 

Ramiro De La Cruz
(photo by Collin Jones)
The monetary cost to be a part of some of these programs is just too much for some students.


Ramiro De La Cruz, a freshman, said, "It would be better if they could include [more] financial aid for students, such as myself, who do not have the resources available to attend [an expensive] trip."
Giulia Gasponi
(photo by Justus Stafford)

When it comes to passing up study abroad programs it’s not always about the money. For students such as Giulia Gasponi, a junior, it’s about missing out on quality time with friends.  

"I feel like I want to use that time during the breaks to spend with my friends,” Gasponi said. “I would get severe [fear of missing out], if I see my friends hanging out while I'm somewhere else for the summer.”
Lauren Reese
(photo by Cruz Rojas)

Although the programs can get pricey, some students believe that it’s worth the experience and knowledge gained.

Lauren Reese, a senior said, "You get a lot of outside-of-school knowledge about culture and different ways that people live. I know some people that went to Spain, and they said that they learned Spanish really well, because they were immersed in the environment. You can pick up things there that you can’t pick up in the classroom."

No matter what the cost, it couldn't hurt to look into the many study abroad programs Texas State has to offer.  You can learn more about Texas State study abroad programs at http://www.studyabroad.txstate.edu/.



No comments:

Post a Comment