Monday, October 30, 2017

Reasons Why Texas State University Students Aren't Participating in Study Abroad Programs

By Nicole Cavender
nec22@txstate.edu

SAN MARCOS, Texas – Many students at Texas State University are either ill-informed about the study abroad programs offered in their particular field of study or believe that the programs are too expensive.

Giulia Gasponi, Photo by Justus Stafford
Giulia Gasponi, a 20-year-old junior studying finance, hasn’t participated in the study abroad programs because she thinks that she’d be missing out on a lot of what may happen back home.

“I feel like I want to use that time during the breaks to spend with my friends,” said Gasponi. “I would get severe [Fear Of Missing Out] if I see my friends hanging out while I’m somewhere else for the summer.”

Gasponi believes the programs could be more accessible for students if informational sessions during classes were a regular occurrence. That would allow the programs to be beneficial to students through the experiences of a different country.

“They can even practice a foreign language,” said Gasponi. “You grow a lot from the experience, being so far away from home.”
Matthew Christnacht, Photo by Cruz Rojas

In accordance with Gasponi, other students don’t think the programs are marketed enough to Texas State students. Matthew Christnacht, a freshman studying radiation therapy, expressed his thoughts on the lack of information about the study abroad programs.

“I haven’t had time and don’t know about any opportunities,” said Christnacht. “I feel like it would take a big time commitment to learn about them.”

He thinks the downside of the programs were costly as well.

“Unless you have scholarships to do it, it’s pretty expensive,” said Christnacht.
Lauren Reese, Photo by Cruz Rojas

Other students wouldn’t want to pay for something that is more expensive than one semester at Texas State. Lauren Reese, a senior studying early development, falls into said category.

“I guess if it cost about the same amount as a semester here, then I could really think about doing it,” said Reese. “I don’t want to be spending more money than I already am.”

As far as the benefits of the program, Reese commented on the experiences her fellow classmates encountered.

“I know some people that went to Spain, and they said that they learned Spanish really well because they were immersed in the environment,” said Reese. “You can pick up things there that you can’t pick up in the classroom.”

Henry "Tres" Allen, Photo by Justus Stafford
Henry “Tres” Allen III, a 20-year-old business finance major, doesn’t have any knowledge of the programs offered in the business school.

“This is my sophomore year so I just haven’t gotten around to it yet,” said Allen. “I don’t think there are many study abroad programs for finance students.”

When told about the Study Abroad in America program, Allen expressed interest. He had no idea there was such a program and wanted to know more about the benefits.

“When they talk about study abroad they should talk about Study Abroad in America, too,” said Allen.

Along with Gasponi and Christnacht, Jenna Huff, a communication disorders student, believes that these programs are too expensive.

Jenna Huff, Photo by Justus Stafford
“There is one study abroad program that you can do over the summer but it’s pretty expensive and a place that I don’t really want to go to,” said Huff.

She's positive that the size of her major, accounting for student population, is so small that they don’t have many options for study abroad locations.

Tony Place, a junior studying manufacturing engineering, doesn’t think there are any programs offered to students that have completed most of their courses. He's unaware of the opportunities offered to students with his major.

“I don’t even think they have my classes in study abroad,” said Place. “I don’t really have any classes left that I think I could take in a program.”

Tony Place, Photo by Sawyer Click
The issue of money plays into the setbacks of studying abroad for Place as well.


“I understand that it’s going to be expensive if you’re going overseas for a bit, so $4,500 for everything is probably doable,” said Place. “At the same time though, if you have tuition, bills and rent, it becomes really hard.”

No comments:

Post a Comment