Monday, October 30, 2017

Problems with Study Abroad and Internship Programs

by Taylor Jacko

SAN MARCOS, Texas — Texas State students said that internships and study abroad trips wouldn't benefit them due to the fact that certain degree plans don't have space or classes that fit their future goals. 

Opinions about study abroad programs and internships are common among students that are wondering how to get involved with these opportunities. Some degrees can restrict a student from participating in these programs. 

Garfield Harrison, an 18 year old student, has his college career planned out to where he can’t fit a program like studying abroad into his degree schedule.

Garfield Harrison, 18
photo by Anahi Hernandez-Rico
"Time. I don't have the time. I wish I had the time to do it because it sounds really cool, but I have like planned like literally up to graduation,” says Harrison.

Other students like Tony Place, a junior in manufacturing engineering, have no classes in their degree plan that offer special programs to gain these opportunities. 

Tony Place Junior
photo by Sawyer Click
“Yeah I don't really have any classes left that I think I could take in a program,” says Place. 

Students also have other obligations to tend to other than school and can’t afford to leave for a whole semester. Texas State Junior Kevin Price explains how work and school are too busy for such trips and programs. 
 Junior Kevin Price
photo by Tyler Hernandez
 

“I do not have time for any of that. I have a full time job and I take fifteen credits,” says Price.

Some classes require you to have an internship but such opportunities are only offered certain grade levels, Giulia Gasponi a 20 year old finance major says, which can cause some issues regarding graduating on time. 

Giulia Gasponi
photo by Justus Stafford

“my degree plan has me doing an internship my senior year,” said Gasponi

In one case a student like Skyler Love, a 23 year old grad student from Arkansas, said that the internship she participated in was mandatory for her to graduate but it looked better on paper instead of actually benefiting her future goals.
Skyler Love
photo by Taylor Jacko 

"I didn't benefit from my internship, if they were willing to show me the ropes I would have benefited more from it,” says Love.

However Elisha Jefferson, an exercise and sports science major, explains how there might be a class out there for students that feel their don't have these oppertunites, coordinators just need to provide more information for these students.

Elisha Jefferson
photo by Collin Jones
"Promote the programs for all majors, especially ones you wouldn't think to have study abroad trips planned,” said Jefferson.


For more information on internships and Study Abroad programs in a specific degree you can visit Texas State Study Abroad or go to your degree plan for information on Internships.

No comments:

Post a Comment