Monday, October 30, 2017

Diverse source interviews



Kaitlin Slattery
22
Anthropology
Senior
Kas228@txstate.edu

"No"

"For the study abroad, it would be not having enough money and then the internship, I guess I'm just too scared to try to get one."

Do you know what kind of internships you would do?
"I mean you could do a lot of different ones. Like museums or labratories."

"I guess like more information about them. Like pamphlets or emails that they send out to all the students."

"Well the internships would help them get jobs in the future and it will help them make connections. And then Studying abroad, I guess just seeing different countries helps you learn a lot."

"I think I would benefit from studying abroad just because I really want to see other cultures in person and I think that would help me a lot."

"I think internships you don't get paid, usually. And then studying abroad, I guess for that time you're gone you're missing out on stuff here."


Ollen Howard
20
Exercise and sports science
Junior
omh9@txstate.edu

"No"

"As far as a study abroad program, I know that they try to make it seem like its affordable and just this easy process, but its not. Especially just general cost to go there, pay to eat, get my stuff there, et cetera, et cetera. Internships, I'm planning on doing that for the summer so this is the time where I am getting comfortable with my major and major classes and kind of seeing where I wanna be so that'll be coming soon and thats in the near future. But as far as studying abroad I can't say that thats guaranteed."

"It's definitely not an easy process, I feel like it is something you got to look more into. I know that we have career services but I'm not sure. We could have something with our own major buildings, like college of education, etc., where they can sort of display the internships that are available and the location that needs to be brought to attention, like where it's gonna be at, closer or further away from here."

"I'm not sure what they could do but I'm sure that if students knew like, I'm not sure as far as financial stuff. Financial programs, not just scholarships but something that comes with the school. I don't know if financial aid reaches out and helps with those but just some type of support or cut back or thats more affordable."

"Study abroad, I think it'll really be an eye opening experience just for a student. Just like as soon open hours at Texas State campus, you're not studying where you're usually studying, like the library, you're in another country or different city. You're really taking it in as a learning experience and not like something that you have to do or something you're wasting your money on. Im somewhere else learning about something thats relevant to my life. And at the same time I'm enjoying it more and I'm more into it. For internships its pretty much work experience. You're getting a feel of a career that you're projected more so going to and you're getting more hands on experience. You get to figure out your strengths and weakness for that job. I think its a resume builder or something that goes towards our future."

"Downside to internships, a lot of students feel pressured into doing them. Were told to apply to an internship however many months or year in advance. When you get there its not necessarily what you expected. For study abroad, aside from the price and the cost, I feel like its a great experience in general. Something thats probably not so good about it is just some students they're going to feel like they're isolated and there alone and they don't know anyone they're with so they want to feel more inclusive with everything they're doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment