Monday, October 30, 2017

Diverse Sources

Pictured: Kaylee Ware
Taken by: Hannah Emmert
Name: Kaylee Ware
Age: 21
Ethnicity: White
Major/Job Title: Public Relations - Student
Classification: Senior
Email: kayleeware@txstate.edu

Q: Have you had an internship, or participated in a Study Abroad or Study in America program?
A: "No."

Q: Why haven't you participated? What stands in the way?
A: "I looked at the study abroad prices and those are really expensive. I'm looking for an internship right now with the School of Mass Communication and Journalism, but I haven't  gotten anything yet."

Q: What do you think should be done to make these programs more accessible to students?
A: "I just think that study abroad is way too expensive. It was, like, $5,000 for two weeks and you could obviously go on trips for cheaper than that. They should make it cheaper or offer more financial aid."

Q: How do students benefit from these programs?
A: "Traveling is important and fun, and you learn a lot from other cultures."

Q: What is the downside of such programs?
A: "I can't think of anything."


Pictured: Naomi Wick
Taken by: Hannah Emmert
Name: Naomi Wick
Age: 20
Ethnicity: White
Major/Job Title: Economics - Student
Classification: Junior
Email: nrw21@txstate.edu

Q: Have you had an internship, or participated in a Study Abroad or Study in America program?
A: "Yes, an internship."

Q: What was it for?
A: "The political action committee at Texas Right to Life."

Q: Can you explain what Texas Right to Life is?
A: "It is the largest statewide pro-life nonprofit organization in Houston."

Q: When did you do your internship?
A: "I did it over the winter break in 2016."

Q: Did you get paid for it, and how much?
A: "Yes, $10 an hour."

Q: How did you find this internship?
A: "I was emailed about it since I'm in their fellowship program."

Q: How did you benefit from it?
A: "I learned that I hate office jobs and filing sucks. But, I had a lot of good experience being in an actual office environment, and it was real world experience because I was doing campaign research and inputting information that I found through the internet onto Excel sheets. I was making donor calls and all these things that I will actually be doing when I graduate when I work with them. It was a trial run kind of job."

No comments:

Post a Comment